Bedford Presbyterian Church

Address:  4 Church Road
​Current Use: Presbyterian Church

Architectural Style:  Greek Revival

Construction Date:  1832

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 7.36.41 PM.png

Click to Enlarge

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 7.42.43 PM.png

Features: 

  • Clapboard cladding

  • Asphalt roof

  • Plaster walls

Click to Enlarge

History:

     In 1737, when Irish Presbyterians settled in New Hampshire, they initially worshipped within their homes or traveled the 12 miles to Londonderry.  In 1749, Presbyterians gathered and requested the creation of an organized church within the town of Bedford as well as a minister.  The first meetinghouse used for worship was constructed in 1755 at the site of the historic Town Hall.  This building was used for church services for 75 years.  In 1826, 56 shareholders formed the Bedford Presbyterian Church and Society.  This society raised the funds necessary for the construction of the current Bedford Presbyterian Church.  The building was completed in 1832 and has been used for Presbyterian services in town ever since.